Smart Pro CAP
AVEPA participated in the Smart Pro CAP Project financed by the Hercule III Programme of the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF). Smart Pro CAP - Smart Protection of EU financial interests in the field of CAP was leaded by the Agricultural Registers and Information Board (ARIB) of the Republic of Estonia and brought together four Paying Agencies from different European countries with the aim of sharing different smart data-based practices that would help to protect EU's financial interests.
Project partners include the following Paying Agencies:
- ARIB - Agricultural Registers and Information Board of the Republic of Estonia
- AVEPA - Paying Agency of Veneto Region (Italy)
- PAAFRD - Paying Agency for Agriculture, Fisheries and Rural Development (Croatia)
- VO - Dept.LV - Flemish Paying Agency - Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Government of Flanders (Belgium)
The specific objectives of Smart Pro CAP were:
- Mapping the best practices among participating countries and know-how of using data-driven risk-analysis while implementing CAP by the Member States and their Paying Agencies including used methods, software (such as Arachne) and resources.
- Pointing out the main challenges for further exploiting the full potential of the data-driven anti-fraud measures.
- Initiating the constant cooperation and networking between Member States for promoting wider use of data-analytics based protection of the EU financial interests in CAP expenditures.
The project consisted in the organisation and implementation of Study visits to the participating Paying Agencies in order to collect and share best practices and to document those events according to a pre-agreed structure. These exchanges paved the way to the compilation of a final document that can be further disseminated - a final Compendium of ideas on experiences of using data-driven approach and ARACHNE risk scoring tool.
The following Study visits took place in the participating countries:
Date: 29-30 September 2021
Venue: Brussels (Belgium)
Title: Opportunities of using data analytics and AI in non-IACS EAFRD measures to shift towards a more risk-based control system and to prevent the risk of overfunding.
Date: 20-21 October 2021
Venue: Zagreb (Croatia)
Title: Experience of Using Data analytics in risk analysis for the protection of EU financial interests for prevention purposes.
Date: 17-18 November 2021
Venue: Padua (Italy)
Title: State-of-the-art and future perspectives for the protection of EU financial interests through data analysis
Date: 18-20 January 2022
Venue: Tartu (Estonia)
Title: Experiences of using data-driven risk analyses experience for non-IACS EAFRD measures and piloting the use of Arachne for daily processes. The glimpse into the future of data-driven agriculture and the DG AGRI expectations for the next CAP period regarding the protection of the EU financial interests.
Proceedings of the Study visit held in Padua and the Final Compendium of ideas are available at documents page.
For further details on the project please visit The context of the Smart Pro CAP.
For additional information please contact:
Direzione - email@example.com
This project is supported by the European Union Programme Hercule III (2014-2020).
This programme is implemented by the European Commission. It was established to promote activities in the field of the protection of the financial interests of the European Union.
For more information see: European Anti-Fraud Office - the Hercule Programmes.
This communication reflects the view only of the author, and the European Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of information contained therein.